Sunday, October 11, 2015

Still Nothing in Nanaimo, but Up-Island it is Well in to the Season

I drove today to a spot near Port Alberni that I have been speculating about for some time. This was a new area so I had no idea what I would find. Within a few minutes hiking I found many bleeding milk cap (Lactarius rubrilacteus) and then a patch of Golden Chanterelles, and some Hedghogs.

Untitled
Golden Chanterelle


Untitled
Golden Chanterelle

Untitled
Cauliflower Mushroom

Untitled
Admirable Bolete

Untitled
Admirable Bolete

Untitled
Admirable Bolete

Here is a video I took. In it I say that the Golden Chanterelles are just starting, but I did find several patches that were very mature, and most of them had been invaded by a white fibrous mold. I have not seen that before. Other patches of younger specimens were very firm and fresh.

A little further on I found some Hedgehogs.


Lastly I found some Elfin Saddles (Helvella) -- Maybe this year I will actually try eating some...

No comments:

Post a Comment