Sunday, October 9, 2011

Suillus luteus and Suillus lakei

I found three boletes today and I wasn't sure if they were the same or different. The first was on a stoney shelf in the moss under conifers, mostly Douglas fir and cedar. It clearly had the remnants of a veil, ruling out Suilus brevipes (short-stemmed slippery jack), although that was my first guess because of the bald cap and lack of scales.






Matchmaker posited many different options none of which seemed right. So I did a spore print while I ate turkey dinner, and have now run it again. The spore print is olive to olive brown, there is a veil, and it does not stain to blue but does turn darker brown when cut. Matchmaker now gives me Suillus luteus (Slippery Jack) which seems right. Matchmaker described the spore print as '"sayal brown" to "clay color" -- Bessette. This is very accurate to what I am looking at.

The other two boletes seemed much easier to key. The first had clear scales on the cap and a ragged veil so going by J. Duane Sept, it sure looks like Suillus lakei (Western Painted Suillus). Interestingly Matchmaker did not give this result at first, but after entering as much information as I could think of it did, so I feel pretty confident about this one.




The last one was much more yellow but since it was not blue staining and had the veil, I'm going to peg it as the Suillus lakei too.


1 comment:

  1. On my walk on Monday, Oct 24th, I went by the rocky shelf where I saw these fungi. They were all finished, only greyish brownish stalks of mushy decay. So 15 days of fruiting. Somehow I thought it would be longer...

    ReplyDelete